Monday, September 26, 2011

A rose by any other name

I started by hammering copper spirals and loopy Celtic waves, but I wanted to somehow bring a more sculptural quality to my work without the need for soldering. I wanted the piece to be one long piece of wire molded and hammered into a miniature sculpture. I started making roses almost by accident. I had a crinkly piece of wire that on a whim I hammered flat and wound into a spiral shape. The crinkles in the wire made such a neat, roselike shape to the spiral that I kept working with it and eventually added leaves or other decorations. What resulted was a unique, 3d rose that had an elegant shape. I have been making these roses for a while now and each one seems to be a little more elegant than the last. Here is my latest one, a rose ring from recycled sterling silver.

No comments:

Post a Comment