Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Huaraches- Why I love them

Last summer, I got into a conversation with my husband's cousin about running. I don't run much: he does. I want to try, really I do, but my entire life my feet have hated shoes. I'm not much on the style of running shoes and never had a pair that were super comfortable, so I never ran. Then I saw a documentary on some tribe in Mexico that runs barefoot or in minimal shoes. I thought, "I could do that."  So I did research and decided that the minimalist shoes didn't look so hard to make. I ended up making about 5 pairs from scrap leather I had in my studio, cutting the leather to fit my feet neatly. I used a leather punch from my craft supplies to make the holes for the straps and suede lacing. Each pair got better than the ones before. I got good at lacing them so that I could slip them on and off. And my feet started loving me for it. 

 For 10 year I was a flip flop wearer in summer. But at the end of a long day of walking in flip flops, my toes would hurt and my heels and arches too, sometimes even my calves. With my new simple leather sandals, dubbed "Jesus sandals" by my students, I walk an entire day on concrete or grass and I can hardly tell any difference in how my feet feel from the beginning of the day. My feet are so much stronger and more balanced!!  I LOVE them. It really is like walking barefoot. 

As you break them in the leather cups to your toes and heels as you wear them and becomes almost a second skin. 
The only problem I have is that when I walk in puddles, they get a bit wet and floppy,  but just walking on damp ground doesn't do it. The leather is fairly water resistant on the smooth side but on the suede part it soaks up water. 
As for running, I have no idea how they work running because apparently I lack the willpower and time to be a runner, but if you see me this summer, odds are I will be shod in two straps of leather and some suede string. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment