Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thinking in 2D

I have been making bookmarks from copper wire for a while now and I always amaze myself when I get a good design that is both visually appealing as well as functional. In the beginning I made the mistake of crossing wires. In other professions when you cross the wires you might get a shock or worse, but in cold forging wire, you just get a ruined piece if you try to hammer the crossed wires and since all of my bookmarks need to flat to be functional, crossed wires are no-no. This all leads me to the fact that my bookmarks have to be one continuous piece of wire. If you have ever tried to draw a picture without picking up your pencil and without crossing any lines you understand this dilemma. It's a little nerve wracking at times! When I have a specific design I am working on it can take me hours or even days to get it "right". Often I have to pick and choose the details of an item to include so that for instance, a violin still looks like violin. It's a balancing act and a puzzle at the same time. I hope you enjoy all of my designs I have puzzled out for you and keep watching for new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment